Strategic Energy Manager
San Francisco, California
About Terawatt Infrastructure
Terawatt Infrastructure is the leader in financing, developing, and operating electric vehicle charging solutions. Our mission is to power electrified fleets with the most reliable network of charging centers. With increasing demand for electric vehicles, we are facing a once-in-a-century technology transition. The market for EV charging infrastructure is expected to grow to $1 trillion by 2040. The nation needs a long-term partner in the inevitable transition to all-electric transportation. At Terawatt, you will join your team in delivering quality end-to-end charging solutions.
At Terawatt, we own, develop, operate, and maintain charging sites and operational solutions to form the backbone of commercial EV transport in the U.S. We execute humbly and with urgency to provide energy and charging solutions that delight our clients and support the transition to clean, electrified transport.
Impact to Climate Change:
Transportation creates 23% of all greenhouse gas emissions each year. Electrifying transportation is priority #1 to impact climate change. By electrifying fleets, we can mitigate more than 70% of mobility CO2 urban emissions, remove 50% of city air pollution, and help fleet operators meet Net Zero commitments.
We are building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. At Terawatt, we continuously strive to foster inclusion, humility, energizing relationships, and belonging, and welcome new ideas. We're growing and want you to grow with us. We encourage people from all backgrounds to apply.
TeraWatt is creating first-of-its-kind EV charging solutions and products for the newly developing mobility, heavy trucking, and fleet electric vehicle market. The Strategic Energy Manager will ensure TeraWatt properly manages energy rates, costs, and credits by analyzing historical data while forecasting future energy usage and costs. They will have deep foundational knowledge of electric use and billing concepts. Still, more importantly, they have a constant curiosity and initiative to seek data to solve complex yet-to-be-answered problems. They can communicate those solutions through data, visualizations, and verbal and written communication. They will formulate, propose, and implement strategies and solutions to achieve TeraWatt energy management objectives and key results. The Strategic Energy Manager will have the unique opportunity to work on the leading edge of fleet electrification, EV charging, electric utility rates, utility service, and distributed energy resources.
- Analyze historical fleet utilization, site-level energy use, and demand to evaluate and forecast energy costs and energy-related cost risks
- Manage the selection of regulated utility rate tariffs, negotiate energy retail contracts
- Assess risk and cost mitigation measures such as DERs
- Use identified load profiles and knowledge of electric utility rate schedules to assess costs under various use cases and identify the key cost drivers (e.g., demand charges, energy time of use rates).
- Manage energy price risk embedded in charging-as-a-service contracts through developing analytical methods/tools to produce price sensitivity scenarios.
- Manage Terawatt’s LCFS and green energy supply portfolio, including acquiring and retiring credits.
- Regarding customer contract pricing, develop, maintain, and implement energy management plans for operational sites, including monthly/quarterly reporting, forecasting, rate analysis, and cost and energy savings plans.
- Partner with internal product and tech teams to design architecture and build energy management dashboards.
- 8+ years of relevant experience
- Strong understanding of data analytics modeling methods and protocols.
- Fluent with using standard software tools for accessing, sorting, and manipulating large datasets to perform techno-economic modeling.
- Command of energy management, utility billing, and electric vehicle charging of large power load concepts
- Mastery of assessing utility tariff rates and ingesting utility rates into modeling
- Experience implementing statistical methodologies and software tools to assess and reduce energy and cost risk, developing and implementing energy management plans resulting in risk and cost reduction.
- Experienced in energy modeling, energy trading, and energy financial modeling.
- Advanced knowledge of emerging fundamental trends in electric industry and in energy/carbon trading regulation , such as LCFS and RECs
- Experience in negotiating utility rates (both tariff rates and transmission level wholesale rates), power purchase agreements, energy contracts and/or energy retail rates.
Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. This salary range reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position across all US locations. The successful candidate’s starting salary will be determined based on permissible, non-discriminatory factors such as skills, experience, interview performance, and geographic location.
This role is eligible for:
Terawatt Equity Plan
Terawatt Bonus Plan
Flexible Time Off (FTO) for vacation, personal, or sick use
Healthcare insurance (medical, dental, vision)
Paid Parental Leave (based on program eligibility requirements)
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At Terawatt, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Terawatt is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. In keeping with our commitment, we will take steps to ensure that people with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations. Accordingly, if reasonable accommodation is required to fully participate in the job application or interview process, or to perform the essential functions of the position, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Terawatt Infrastructure is an equal-opportunity employer.